Monday, January 13, 2014

Traveling and going to prison....

Travel days and day 1 We'll we made it la Esperanza! After some hiccups with the plane in Houston. We got a new plane and arrive to Tegucigalpa only two hours late. After setting our course we drove on a newly divided hogway for half of the trip was nice compared to the past of trying to pass semi trucks with oncoming traffic. We stopped at afamily of one of the past providers and they have a coffe plantation. They grow, process and roast their coffee. It was interesting to see dogs walk through the beans while they are on the ground but the beans aren't washed until two steps later. It was a nice little pit stop on the 4 hour drive. We arrived to la Esperanza around 6:45pm and there we met up with Christina and Marvin the missionaries we work with here. After fellowship over dinner, we started sorting all of supplies for the week. Today we went to the prison in la Esperanza. It is a jail with the capacity of 75, population of 250. They took our passports and cell phones when we came in. (I was worried I would not see it again) they "checked" our bags and medicines, but I was still allowed to being in my trauma shears. We were helped out all day by two young men who I thought worked the only to find out as we left they also were prisoners. We were stationed in the small chapel. All of the men congregated in the yard where it looked like they did everything except sleep. Some men were knitting baskets r hammocks while others were hanging up clothes on wires twenty feet above the ground. On the north wall about thirty feet above the ground was a gaurd tower. So we started about 1030 and ended around 5:30 and the doctura and I saw about 80 patients and the dentist saw about 30 but I think they pulled twice as much teeth. About 4:00 these men, who were prisoners, brought all of us coffee. The first one walking in had a bright red gcu shirt that I recognized immediately. It made me smile. All in all the day went well with no prison riots or pushing and shoving in line. It was a good day. Prayer needs: tomorrow we will be sound clinics in a village. They want to have me as a provider with consulting the doctura. I do not feel ready but they think I am. Also my ears are giving me pain with a constant ringing, and they are plugged so it is extremely are to hear people talking to me while I am multi tasking. What is weird is my left is getting better with my right getting worse. I compare the feeling to walking around with earplugs in with an extremely bad case of tinnitus. Also for safe travel as we go to the village. Our team is meshing really well and we are teaching each other new things. Write more soon! If you want to see more go to the Hands Giving Hope page. Hghope.org

No comments:

Post a Comment