Friday, May 1, 2015

We are off again!

As I packed this morning I could not think of what I was forgetting. It was bad enough that I waited till the morning of the trip to pack. I could not believe how little stress I  had. There I was packing and I was totally chill, I still left on time too! Meeting all of these college kids I miss my own mission trip friends. There are 15 GCU students and then Stan and I.I feel like the redheadedstep child, I have been forgotten on reservations, matching stuff and in general just added on to stuff. I have not been with this big of a group since Kenya. I remember all of us being so excited for Kenya and hanging out and joking while in the terminal. This group is so loud but that is what happens when you have a big group who are all friendly with each other! They keep asking me questions about Honduras, there responses have been varied but my favorite has been, "ok that's what Dennis said, buts it's good to hear someone else other than Dennis say it." Many of them are calling there parents reassuring them of the trip. I was very surprised if your parents are not reassured now then they are not going to be reassured later after I tell their children about the dangers they need to be aware of and why it is custom to clap after landing at the tegucigalpa airport. And I like to say there is no turning around now!
And it is definitely a small world! There is a girl on this trip whose boyfriend is the little brother to one of my best friends! It was odd seeing my friend Jordan's little brother last night cause I met him when he was 12, and now he is in college. I am starting feel very old.
If I haven't mentioned, Stan is a pastor I have worked with on the Navajo reservation, he lives in Kaibeto which is near Paige, AZ. His Christmas ministries is where I was introduced to Navajo culture and of course I had my first Navajo taco there. I now know a lot of Navajo culture! Anyways I am very excited Stan is here! He is a great encourager and has a chill personality. Stan will stay the whole time with GCU kids but I will be with them for one week. We will see what God has in store for us!
I do have some prayer requests!
First for our safety with traveling, we are taking two days for travel this time. I don't know how my Travel will be coming back but it might also be a 2 day trip. It is the raining season so the roads can be slick. Last June a bus had crashed due to the speed while turning on the slick mountain roads. We must have driven past it within 15 minutes of the crash. Everyone was ok but they were lucky for guard rail, lots of the highways don't have the guard rails.
Second I need prayers for my health, I feel I always get sick before a trip, I don't know if it is the spiritual warfare or I am internalizing the stress. I do think my cold is related to stress. I have been working a lot and I have had a cold, it was getting better but I had an extremely stressful weekend last weekend and I feel it just brought the cold back in force. I am prepared with my cough syrup, sudaphed, and various head ache medicine- I'm prepared to deal with migraines as I have been dealing with daily migraines this last two months.
Third trip request is for guidance. This trip I am asking God to guide me what to do with my life or where am I to go? And when I go do I continue to develop my skills as a forensic nurse? Or do I stick to clinic/ER nursing? Do I go closer to my family or farther away? Do I go back to school?  (school I will return eventually but when, where, and what major?-are also the questions.) I have considered just going to seminary but I just don't know where God wants me, I feel very stagnant in Gallup but it has taught me how to be independent of my family and only seeing them once a month or less.
Fourth is to cover us with prayer and give the whole team opportunity to share the love of christ! Honduras is the country where I learned door to door evanglism. I feel awkward but I have seen the fruit of the labor and I know the people are hungry for it. Most of the students on the trip are new to the world of missions and I hope they will show the love of God to all.
I am enjoying internet while I have it but tomorrow is our long day of traveling. I gave a customs lecture at dinner. There will be no goofing off in customs, I have had to hold my tongue not to tell these kids off. They are over 18 but some of them do not act like it. They are carefree college kids, so they got my "you will be detained if you goof off" speech.  Customs is not joke... there is a reason there is a show called "locked up abroad" Tegucigalpa is a dangerous city and we have to be on gaurd. We will see if sunk in tomorrow. Until I get internret next!
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment